blog post #6

My experience with Diigo prior to this class was nonexistent, as I had actually never even heard of it before this module, so it was a brand new platform for me. Honestly, it seems useful in classroom settings where collaboration is required, but on an individual level, I cannot see myself utilizing this tool frequently. For example, I wasn't a huge fan of the fact that I had to download a separate browser to be able to use the extension for annotating and creating sticky notes. However, I did like how I was able to add summaries and tags, because that helps when organizing and grouping materials. That's definitely a feature that would come in handy for say, a group research project where different members are put in charge of gathering sources and integrating information into a collaborative assignment. 

Speaking of the features of Diigo that I like, I realize that I really like those specific features because they are general characteristics of blogs. I've had my fair share of blogs in the past, with my favorite platform from childhood being Tumblr. I liked that I had my own personal page and could upload different types of media into my posts while tagging them with relevant words so that my posts could be seen by a wider audience. I also like using Blogger as well, although I do not particularly care for such a plain interface. I think that blogging is something that I could definitely get back into, as I see the appeal of having a space to jot down and share your personal thoughts and opinions with those willing to listen! 

After learning more about Web 2.0 tools and what they encompass, I have come to realize that I have used a LOT of these tools in my own educational experience. One tool that I have yet to use but find particularly intriguing is Thinglink. Thinglink is a media technology education platform that allows you to make your media interactive by adding text or links to outside resources within the media. It also allows you to create virtual tours, which is something that would certainly be useful in courses where labwork is a central component within the curriculum.

(here is a link to their website!: thinglink)



Comments

Popular Posts